This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a commission from purchases made through links. I will only recommend products I have personally used! Learn more on my private policy page.
Are you looking to try something new this Valentine’s Day? If you’ve spent a few holidays doing the same old thing, or if you’re with a new partner and want to have a memorable first Valentine’s Day, this is the list for you!
Here are 20+ cheap and fun date ideas for Valentine’s Day to try out! There are at-home ideas, outside plans, and date spots for you to try out!
AT-HOME DATE IDEAS
If you have a family and can’t go out for Valentine’s Day, you’re still stuck in lockdown or you just want a cozy night in, these ideas will give you what you’re looking for! Cheap and fun ideas that you don’t have to leave the house for.
- Movie night at home- Each of you pick out your favorite movies, and watch them with good snacks and cuddles!
- Game night at home- Pick out your favorite games to play together and have game night! This is perfect if you have kids, they can participate too. If you want to give each other presents, you can also go out and pick a game you think the other would like, open it on Valentine’s Day and play them! Our favorite games to play are Monopoly and Clue!
- Cook dinner together- We love cooking dinner together and if you want to stay in, this is a cheap and fun Valentine’s Day date alternative to cook your favorite meal together! Or switch it up and try something new you’ve never made before!
- Share old memories over candle light- I love taking pictures with my husband! One year for Valentine’s Day, I made a scrapbook with photos of us and wrote my perspective on that moment in our relationship. This was something super fun to do and look back on, plus he got to see what I was thinking during those moments as well! Try pulling out an old photo album (or Facebook memories if that’s a better option!) and reminse on the good times in your relationship. Need candles for the occasion? Check out these!
- Play your favorite video games together- If you’re like my husband and I, you are your significant other have very different tastes in video games. He is not interesting in what I like, and vice versa. This Valentine’s Day, try to open up your gaming experience a bit! Challenge yourselves to play the games the other person likes, or find a new game to play altogether! We have Xbox Game Pass so we can find a bunch of games for free!
- Bake something- If you have a love for baking, you could bake cookies or cake to have and decorate them together! This is a cheap and fun date idea for Valentine’s Day, and in the end you get delicious goodies!
- Write love notes to each other- If you two are good with words, write a cute love note to your significant other and exchange them on Valentine’s Day! This can be a cute way to remember a memory you hold dear, or just another sweet way to tell them how much you love them!
OUTSIDE DATE-NIGHT IDEAS
If you’re lucky enough to live in a warmer climate where it doesn’t snow this time of year, here are some cheap and fun date ideas for Valentine’s Day that you can do outside!
- Enjoy the cold weather and snow- If you live in a cold place like I do, and snow happens to fall on Valentine’s day- use it to your advantage! Go build snowforts together, or build a snowman! You could snowball fight, or if you’re more cordinated than the two of us, go sledding or ice skating! There are a lot of different snow-based activities you can enjoy together! Then go inside a warm up with some hot chocolate. You can even get peronalized mugs or these cute his and hers marshmellow ones!
- Go Mini-Golfing- One of my favorite date ideas is to go mini-golfing! You can either find outdoor places to go, or you may have places near you that have glow-in-the-dark mini golf inside! We have a laser tag place near us that doubles as an arcade, and has a glow-golf section there too!
- Go on a romantic walk- Being in nature can be so calming, and even romantic! Take a nice walk around your neighborhood, stroll through the park or if you’re able to, go on a nature walk or hike somewhere in your town! This is a very cheap Valentine’s Day idea, and if you do it in your own neighborhood its even free!
- Window shop- Don’t have the money to actually go shopping? Window shopping to the rescue! Head to your nearest mall or favorite place to shop and look around at what they have to offer! And if you enjoy home decor, plan out what you’d like to buy next for your home or apartment while you’re there.
- Romantic outside dinner- You can have a nice date at the park, or even in your own backyard!
PLACES TO GO FOR VALENTINES DAY
If staying outside for long periods of time isn’t an option for you, and you don’t want to stay home, this section is for you! I’ve come up with a list of cheap and fun date ideas for Valentine’s Day outside the home too.
- Go back to your first date spot- If you can, head back to the very first place you went on a date! This could be a great way to reminisce on your relationship, and also have a fun night out as well!
- Candy taste testing- One of my husband’s favorite places to go is a bulk foods store that has a bunch of assortments of candies you can pick out yourself! You walk around and pick out candy from different bins, as much or as little as you’d like. This is a very inexpensive date idea! Go try out a bunch of different candies and chocolates to eat on Valentine’s Day!
Don’t have a store like that near you? Try out these chocolates here instead!
- Visit an art gallery- I personally love going to the art gallery! They’re a beautiful place to have fun in and spend time together. And if you’re lucky enough, the entry fee may even be free! We have a place near us that is free to people who live in the county. Check out your local art gallery, they may have something similar!
- Check out books at the library- If you both like to read, go to the library and check out a few books! You can choose to read them together, pick out books for each other or read them alone and tell the other person what you’ve read! This is the perfect cheap Valentine’s day idea for a bookworm, and you’ll support your local library too!
Read Next: 5 Books to Read to Improve Yourself
- Go to an arcade- Arcades are a fun date idea, although you can spend a ton of money there if you aren’t careful! This is the perfect date idea for the couple that loves to game together, and maybe even get a bit competitive!
- Go roller skating- Roller skating is a cheap and fun date idea, whether you are good at it or not! You can both either have fun rolling around the rink, or you can laugh at each other’s clumsiness while you fall all over the place! Either way, you’re going to have a good time.
- Go bowling- Bowling is another very fun date idea. And you may have a place near you that does glow-in-the-dark bowling as well! All the lights get turned off, the neon signs get turned on and you just have a good time! No worries if you aren’t good at bowling, you’re there to have fun anyway!
- Couples yoga- Yoga is super relaxing to do, and a lot of fun! If you enjoy yoga by yourself, try asking your partner if they will try it with you next time! You know… instead of just watching from behind. You can either book a class together at your local gym, or you can just try this out at home!
- Hang out at a coffee shop- There is something about a coffee shop that is just so relaxing! Meet your significant other here for a nice coffee date and just hang out!
- Go on a Dollar Tree spending spree- Give yourselves a dollar amount to spend like $10-20 and head to the dollar store! Find items to surprise your significant other with and use them on Valentine’s Day! It can be anything- silly plastic toys, candy, bubble bath soap- whatever you can find.
I hope you were able to find a few cheap and fun date ideas for Valentine’s Day to try out together this year! How are you spending your day? Let me know in the comments section below!